For over fourty years, WSIP has held summer programs for high school students to support their development as academic writers ready to meet the challenges of high school and college preparation.
The Young Writers Institute (YWI) takes place every July on the University of Arizona Main Campus in Tucson, Arizona. We build a community of writers comprised of students at varying skill levels and with varying interests in writing. The students work on two major projects during the program: 1) individual zine or book object and 2) collaborative anthology. The Institute closes with a reception for students and families, during which students present their work. This program is the only one of its kind in Arizona.
- Writing workshops
- Walking field trips
- Grammar and Style Refreshers
- Organzation and Time Management
- Writing Academic Genres
- College Application Essays
- Presentation Skills
- Exploration of Creative Writing
Who May Apply
- Students entering grades 9-12
- UA Main Campus
- Tucson, Arizona
- $15 Application Fee
- We begin accepting applications in March of each year.
- Applications are due in late April.
- Check back here in March for details.
The Young Writers Institute is appreciative to have received the following awards:
- 2018 Marshall Foundation Award
- 2017 College of Humanities Teaching and Outreach Grant
The YWI is not a residential program. Housing and meals are not provided.