For over forty years, WSIP has held summer programs for high school students to support their development as academic writers ready to meet the challenges of high school and college preparation.
The Young Writers Institute (YWI) takes place every July on the University of Arizona Main Campus in Tucson, Arizona. We build a community of writers comprised of students at varying skill levels and with varying interests in writing. The students work on two major projects during the program: 1) individual zine or book object and 2) collaborative anthology. This program is the only one of its kind in Arizona.
July 6-24, 2020
Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 9 am - 12 pm
- Writing workshops
- Grammar and Style Refreshers
- Organzation and Time Management
- Writing Academic Genres
- College Application Essays
- Presentation Skills
- Exploration of Creative Writing
Who May Apply
- Students entering grades 9-12
- Online Only
- $15 Application Fee
- Returning participants may be required to pay a program fee.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
The Young Writers Institute is appreciative to have received the following awards:
- 2018 Marshall Foundation Award
- 2017 College of Humanities Teaching and Outreach Grant
The YWI is not a residential program. Housing and meals are not provided.