The application process is closed.
Please contact us at (520) 621-5849 with any questions.
This three-week program focuses on providing students opportunities to develop writing fluency and confidence in academic writing through project-based activities.
On a typical day, students will . . .
- spend mornings reading, writing, discussing, and presenting their writing
- spend afternoons participating in workshops to experiment with various types of writing
- produce an anthology of writing
Throughout the program, participants will have opportunities to participate in UA activities.
Who May Participate
High school students (grades 9-12 in the coming school year)
Dates: July 8-26
Place: University of Arizona (Main Campus)
Time: Monday - Friday, 9 am - 3 pm
Please note that this is not an overnight camp. Housing and meals are not provided by WSIP.
- $15 Non-refundable application processing fee (does not guarantee acceptance into the program)
This is a competitive program. Submitting an application does not guarantee acceptance.
Application Packet Requirements
- Completed online application. Due April 19.
- Personal Statement (included in the application): Why are you applying to attend the Young Writers Institute? Be honest! Do you love writing and want to grow as a writer? Do you hate writing and someone is insisting that you apply? What do you think about your writing skills and how can participating in the program help you? (200 words)
- Letter of Support: Letter of Support from a recent teacher, school administrator, or job supervisor who can recommend you. UPLOAD to the application or email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application Fee
Notification of acceptance will begin in early May.
** Recipient of a 2018 Marshall Foundation Grant **
** Recipient of a 2017 College of Humanities Teaching and Outreach Grant. **