The application process has closed for 2022.
For over forty years, WSIP has held summer programs for high school students to support their development of reading, writing, and critical thinking skills. We build a community of writers comprised of students at varying skill levels and with varying interests. Our aim is to create a fun and engaging learning environment in which every student feels comfortable and confident to participate in reading, writing, and presentation activities. Throughout the program, we introduce students to interesting resources available through the University of Arizona. This includes virtual field trips to museums, libraries, and other centers around campus. Our goal is that by the end of the 3-week program, students will have gained valuable experiences and tools to help them succeed in their academic and personal adventures.
The Young Writers Institute is the only program of its kind in Arizona. Our innovative curriculum successfully supports literacy development.2022 Young Writers Institute Flier
- Developing Voice * Details and Description * Observation and Note-taking
- Summary and Analysis * Search and Research * Visual and Oral Presentations
- Grammar and Style * Organization and Time Management * Writing Academic Genres
- Creativity and Expression
Students work on two main projects-- the personal Zine or Book Object and the collaborative Anthology.
July 5-22, 2022
Who Is Eligible
- Students entering grades 9-12
We have shifted to program to an online-only format this summer. Monday-Friday, 9 am - 12 pm (Arizona Time)
- Application Packet includes the following materials
- Online Application. CLOSED
- Letter of Recommendation: a letter from a teacher, supervisor, or other party familiar with your interest in the program. One (1) page affirming your interest in the YWI. Upload the letter with your application.
- Permission waivers. Download the Waivers here, and then upload them with your application.
- Payment, $275.
- Seats in the YWI are limited. Seats will be filled as completed applications are received (application materials + payment).
The Young Writers Institute is appreciative to have received the following awards:
- 2018 Marshall Foundation Award
- 2017 College of Humanities Teaching and Outreach Grant
The YWI is not a residential program. Housing and meals are not provided.