The 2023 application process has closed.
For over forty years, the Writing Skills Improvement Program (WSIP) has held summer programs for high school students to support their development of reading, writing, and critical thinking skills. In our Young Writers Institute (YWI) build a community of writers comprised of students at varying skill levels and with varying interests. Our aim is to create a fun and engaging learning environment in which every student feels comfortable and confident to participate in reading, writing, and presenting. Throughout the program, we introduce students to interesting resources available through the University of Arizona. This includes field trips to museums, libraries, and other centers around campus. Our goal is that by the end of the program, students will have gained valuable experiences and tools to help them succeed in their academic and personal adventures.
The YWI is the only program of its kind in Arizona. Our innovative curriculum successfully supports literacy development.
- Developing Voice * Details and Description * Observation and Note-taking
- Summary and Analysis * Search and Research * Visual and Oral Presentations
- Grammar and Style * Organization and Time Management * Writing Academic Genres
- Creativity and Expression
Students work on two main projects-- the personal Zine or Book Object and the collaborative Anthology.
July 5-21, 2023
Monday-Friday, 9 am - 12 pm, in-person in Tucson
Monday-Friday, 2 pm - 5 pm, on-line
*Students enroll in one session (in-person or on-line). We will determine if we have enough applications to hold both sessions. If not, we will reduce to one.
Who Is Eligible
- Students entering grades 9-12 in fall
In-person option: Mon-Fri, 9 am - 12 pm (AZ), University of Arizona Main Campus, Tucson
On-line option: Mon-Fri, 2 pm - 5 pm (AZ)
- Application Packet includes the following materials
- Online Application.
- Letter of Recommendation: a letter from a teacher, supervisor, or other party familiar with your interest in the program. One (1) page affirming your interest in the YWI. Upload the letter with your application.
- Permission waivers. Download the Waivers here, and then upload them with your application.
- Payment, $275. (We will contact you for payment in May)
- Seats in the YWI are limited. Seats will be filled as completed applications are received (application materials + payment).
Read more about the Young Writers Institute in the UA College of Humanities News .
Watch videos about past institutes on our YouTube channel.
The Young Writers Institute is appreciative to have received the following awards:
- 2018 Marshall Foundation Award
- 2017 College of Humanities Teaching and Outreach Grant