The 2023 application process has closed.
For over forty years, WSIP has held summer programs for high school students to support their development of reading, writing, and critical thinking skills. We build a community of writers comprised of students at varying skill levels and with varying interests.
Our aim is to create a fun and engaging learning environment in which every student feels comfortable and confident to participate in reading, writing, and presentation activities. Throughout the program, we introduce students to interesting resources available through the University of Arizona. This includes virtual field trips to museums, libraries, and other centers around campus. Our goal is that by the end of the 3-week program, students will have gained valuable experiences and tools to help them succeed in their academic and personal adventures.
The Young Writers Institute is the only program of its kind in Arizona. Our innovative curriculum successfully supports literacy development. Students work on two main projects-- the personal Zine or Book Object and the collaborative Anthology.
- Developing Voice
- Details and Description
- Observation and Note-taking
- Summary and Analysis
- Search and Research
- Visual and Oral Presentations
- Grammar and Style
- Organization and Time Management
- Writing Academic Genres
- Creativity and Expression
July 5-21, 2023
Monday-Friday, 9 am - 12 pm, in-person in Tucson
Monday-Friday, 2 pm - 5 pm, on-line
*Students enroll in one session (in-person or on-line). We will determine if we have enough applications to hold both sessions. If not, we will reduce to one.
Students entering grades 9-12 in the Fall.
In-person option: Mon-Fri, 9 am - 12 pm (AZ), University of Arizona Main Campus, Tucson
On-line option: Mon-Fri, 2 pm - 5 pm (AZ)
- Application Packet includes the following materials
- Online Application. CLOSED
- Letter of Recommendation: a letter from a teacher, supervisor, or other party familiar with your interest in the program. One (1) page affirming your interest in the YWI. Upload the letter with your application.
- Permission waivers. Download the Waivers here*, and then upload them with your application.
- Payment, $275.
- Seats in the YWI are limited. Seats will be filled as completed applications are received (application materials + payment).
The Young Writers Institute is appreciative to have received the following awards:
- 2018 Marshall Foundation Award
- 2017 College of Humanities Teaching and Outreach Grant
Please note: The YWI is not a residential program. Housing and meals are not provided.